- The main use case of the application is to significantly reduce the test designer’s time needed for manual creation of the process test cases
- PCTgen allows automated generation of test situations from application workflows, abstracted as directed graphs (in the current version decision points = nodes, actions and decision variants = edges)
- For generation of test situations, coverage criteria Test Depth Level (TDL) is used. TDL concept is compliant to TMAP Next methodology. For ISTQB Advanced world, the principle is practically equal to N-switch coverage concept.
- Open formats based on XML and CSV are used to import & export of the graphs and exports of created test cases. This allows connection of PCTgen to design and test management tools.
- PCTgen is written in Java
Employed research results
- PCTgen is one of the products of our research in efficiency and improvements of test design techniques. Besides the practical usability of its public release for the test designer community, the application serves as experimental platform for verification of proposed enhancements.
- The current public version supports optimized TDL-based test case generation, extended by TDL reduction in graph cycles
- Upcoming versions are going to use prioritization of the workflow elements in the test cases generation, variants of test coverage criteria, combination of Process Cycle Test (PCT) with Data LifeCycle Test (DCyT) and our extensions of this technique (the algorithms and methods we are developing in advance).